5. How do I submit an application?
BIH Members may access the form directly on the BIH e-portal.
BIH Non-Members should send their Company details (Company Name, Email Contact and Company Representative) to firstname.lastname@example.org for e-portal registration
- Fund Guidelines, application evaluation criteria and Questions & Answers are available on the BIH website (www.bih.co.bw)
6. How many applications can a company submit?
- Only 1 application per company is permitted per call.
7. How much can my project be funded for?
- The grants awarded shall be up to P2 million per project and only to be spent on eligible costs.
8. How will my application be evaluated?
The following are Required
- Market Need
- Value Proposition (a clear path towards operationalizing the product on-the-ground)
- Team Composition and Roles
- Customer Validation
- Clear Revenue Streams
- Alignment with Key Govt Objective/National Need
- Social Impact Identify a specific problem/challenge statement or need
- Articulation of proposed solution and approach
The following are Preferred
- Projects that present a clear strategy for bridging the gap between innovation and the end users, including through productive approaches and end-user consultations
- Involvement of research or other partners in Botswana
- New partnerships to develop cross sectoral and collaborative teams (including members from the public, private, NGO and academic sectors)
- Encouraging training and capacity development
- Development of open access data, products, tools and approaches
- Open source technological solutions that are simple and replicable are encouraged
- Ability to leverage other projects and investment to deliver greater impact
9. What are the windows available for Funding?
The following Windows are available under the Second Call for Proposals:
WINDOW ONE: Applied Research and Development: There are opportunities for research outputs based on previous work in different universities and research Institute. The Window shall target key research outputs that have been tested beyond laboratory prototype level and ready to be scaled up to a validated prototype.
WINDOW TWO: Entrepreneurship led solutions: The window shall be targeting proven solutions by entrepreneurs towards corporate, government and industry challenges. Entrepreneurs and the client adopting the solution will be requested to jointly pitch or demonstrate their solutions. The solutions may be proven prototypes from hackathons, mapathons, makeathons.
WINDOW THREE: Indigenous Knowledge Based solutions: This window will focus on grass-roots innovations driven by community and/or social enterprises in a co-creation-based approach to pressing community challenges that have potential to scale and recognise the knowledge holder’s inputs. The window will not address any medical or health related claims that may require full medical trials and ethical issues. The focus shall be on producing and promotion of the IKS based innovations and protecting intellectual property.
10. What else is funded?
The following cash grants are available to augment product or process development:
(i) institutionalised training, and/or
(ii) approved on the job training programmes.